One question we get asked frequently by our passionate customers is if we have plans to release [fill in the blank]-scented liquid Castile Soap. But did you know that it’s quick and easy to make your own liquid Pure-Castile Soap scent? Read on to find out how!
Before jumping in to making your own scent, be sure to get to know our eight Pure-Castile Soap scents if you haven’t already!
Table of Contents
- Adding Essential Oils to Dr. Bronner’s Baby Unscented Pure-Castile Liquid Soap
- Mild Essential Oils
- Strong Essential Oils
- How to Mix the Essential Oil(s) with Castile Soap
- Additional Resources
Adding Essential Oils to Dr. Bronner’s Baby Unscented Pure-Castile Liquid Soap
If you’ve been dreaming of combining your favorite scent with Dr. Bronner’s, then our Baby Unscented Pure-Castile Liquid Soap is the place to start. It contains no essential oils and double the amount of olive oil, making it especially moisturizing and nourishing to the skin.
Note on Essential Oil Amounts: The amount of essential oil you need to add to the Baby Unscented Castile soap will vary because every type and brand of essential oil is unique and some are stronger than others. We encourage you to experiment until you find a recipe that works for you.
Mild Essential Oils
Here are types of essential oils that many characterize as having a mild scent, so they will require a few more drops to get the desired effect:
Chamomile, jasmine, geranium, neroli, Ylang-Ylang, petitgrain, angelica root, clary sage, fennel, hyssop, rosemary, thyme, parsley
- 2 oz. bottle of Baby Unscented: Add about 30 drops
- 4 oz. bottle of Baby Unscented: Add about 60 drops
- 8 oz. bottle of Baby Unscented: Add about 120 drops
- 16 oz. bottle of Baby Unscented: Add about three quarters of a 10 mL bottle
- 32 oz. bottle of Baby Unscented: Add about a full 15 mL bottle
Strong Essential Oils
Here are essential oils characterized as being on the stronger-scented side that will likely require fewer drops:
Cedarwood, camphor, cajeput, eucalyptus, patchouli, pennyroyal, laurel leaf, lavandin, spearmint, wintergreen, basil, cinnamon, pine
- 2 oz. bottle of Baby Unscented: Add about 10 drops
- 4 oz. bottle of Baby Unscented: Add about 20 drops
- 8 oz. bottle of Baby Unscented: Add about 40 drops
- 16 oz. bottle of Baby Unscented: Add about 80 drops, or about half a 5 mL bottle
- 32 oz. bottle of Baby Unscented: Add about 160 drops, or about a full 5 mL bottle
Please experiment with these amounts to get the desired outcome. It’s best to start out adding lower amounts and test since it’s easy to add more if you want a stronger scent.
How to Mix the Essential Oil(s) with the Castile Soap
Once you’ve settled on an essential oil (or oils if you’re doing a blend), you can mix directly into the Baby Unscented. For the best results, however, here are a few mixing tips! This method will also work if you want to create a blend with one of our existing scents:
- Heat the soap in a stainless-steel pot over low heat for about 5 minutes
- Add the soap and oil(s) together in an immersion blender
- Blend for 1 minute
- Stir occasionally while soap cools
- Once cooled, pour blended soap into a bottle
*Note: Be careful when handling hot soap (take the same precautions as handling hot soup). We recommend holding the immersion blender upright so as not to spill any hot soap.
And there you have it! If you have any questions or would like to share your favorite homemade scent, let us know in the comments.